Saturday, May 7, 2011

Wk1-2 DB Quickies: DIY Classroom/Presentation Solutions

Copy from Discussion post

I usually setup a small production rig when interviewing or getting live events (in my small business of creating documentaries; does this count as tech in the workplace?). I setup a Canon 60D camera (or an equivalent rented HD camera), I connect a Zoom H4n audio recorder, and with that I either connect lavaliers (mics that clip to your shirt), or a combination of shotgun (long range) and cardioid or condenser (short range) mics. I have some soft box LED lights, some fluorescent lights with umbrellas, and other LED stackable lights. I have some computers that I take on the field to do live shoots, if they are longer than half an hour. I have even invested in a green screen and stand to do studio presentations. I try to keep up with what I need in every situation, but it is not cheap sometimes.
I can understand how many schools wouldn’t have the necessary equipment, or have outdated equipment that can’t be fixed if broken. One thing that I have noticed though, is that some equipment could be reconditioned to do some AV or tech tasks, but because there is no one to do those conversions, the equipment is thrown away or put in auction. For example, in a college I used to work in, there was a BetaCam Sony camera that could still take good video. The tapes for it were hard to find and you usually needed a very expensive deck to ingest the material, but the camera had a firewire port, and after testing, I found you could capture video that way. But after giving the suggestion, the camera was put into auction anyways, because it was “too much trouble.” The ironic thing was that when we became short of one camera, we rented that same camera we had, and it had a small computer hooked to the back (I think it was a Mac Mini but I’m not sure). So it’s sometimes good to check on what you have, and see if it can be re-purposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment