Saturday, May 7, 2011

Wk1 Reading: Blog Post to Ginny Holm

To Ginny

In thinking of what you said about someone copying your work, I certainly understand. I do video production, but most of my work is someone else's and even in some projects where I would have wanted them in public domain, I was stopped, and the projects were formally copyrighted. I wonder though what would happen if ALL graphic work was public domain, for example, I want to do an advertisement on puppies, go to some collection websites of prior puppy work, copy pieces of what I need, and then put the finished product in the website for someone else to use it (while getting a commission for my work). I think that the biggest problem is the way that people want a commission not only when the do the work, but also for the rest of their lives. Many times, I almost feel embarrassed when I see one of my prior works, as I know that my skills have grown since then, and maybe I don't want to be represented or paid for those prior works.
Well, overall this is a hard issue and it would take a major overhaul of our system to change (and many visits to the supreme court). Let's see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment