Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wk1 Wimba: Introduction

One thing that I got from the Wimba is how close to being done I am. And also how much work I have to put into my Action Research as my cycle 2 didn't end up as I expected. Because I have no way to survey or quantify my data, it seems like it needs a lot more, or I would have to widen the scope of the issues to other institutions (it deals directly with my work department and my co-workers). It seems like week 4 will be a nightmare of hard work... I hope I'm prepared, as this month is very busy (I have two graduations to tape, four commemoration videos to make, and a training session to become a trainer in a new learning management system). I wish I could take a month off of work, but a co-worker went on emergency leave to Norway, and won't be coming back until June 29... my graduation (hopefully). Otherwise, it was good to see and hear everyone again, and to meet the new professor. Too bad there is a three hour difference, and my work ends late many times.

As mentioned in prior posts, copyright is a stinging issue for me (and for many of my classmates as well). This is not only from a user's standpoint, but also from a creator's standpoint. One quote from the reading's Ted.com video (with Larry Lessig) is about a generation of law breakers, that because of their creative impulses, they have to accept the fact that they have become law breakers, being an active part of society. This shocked me as I started to think about my life before this EMDT program. I'm a part-time independent producer and filmmaker, and I know of the pain of creating something (in this case, documentaries about local events and social change), being paid a sum of money for a signature, and then not see that creation again... All in the name of copyright. What about being sued for putting a portion clip in YouTube that YOU created with your own camera (and with permission slips made to you)? I'm glad the cases dropped, or maybe I wouldn't even be here...

Well, I hope I can find the time to get in a Wimba (even though that would mean staying at work), and participate in some of these talks. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment