Friday, May 13, 2011

Wk2-2 DB Quickies: CD Ownership, Music Sharing or Spontaneous Listening

Copy from discussion post

Wow this is a tough one. After much thinking, the first song that ever touched me in a deep way was a midi song from a NES game called Ultima III. I can still remember that tune immediately just thinking about the game. I played that game for over 2 years and gave me the skill for a lot of roleplaying games after this. If it wasn’t for this game and it’s music, I would have probably never gotten into computers the way I did, I probably would have never joined the military (too long to explain but it really makes sense), and with a lot of certainty, I would have never been a geek.
I remember very well when CDs started to become popular, and the slow transition that it took for people to change from cassettes. I remember that CDs gave music a sort of “class” that wasn’t present when you dealt with cassettes, unless you had a “metal” cassette. It probably was because of how easy it was for CDs to be copied, and how quickly they lost their quality. I didn’t really own any CDs until after high school. I bought a lot of repeats while in the military (check my 2-1 post), my CDs were always getting stolen. I was a very early adopter of the digital compression (I even bought Sony MD recorders when they first came out) and the ways to deal with WAVs, and the advent of mp3. I don’t care much about CDs or music for that matter, and don’t keep music anywhere in the house or computers. I never paid attention to the prices when I would buy CDs in the past, but I would never spend a dime today for a CD.
CDs cut some of the highs and lows of music, so even with all the hype of digital music, LPs still have the best quality (if they’re not scratched that is). If I would ever go back into listening to music, I would probably buy LPs and a vacuum LP player (look these up)…

PS: In my post I said about copying CDs, I meant cassettes, CD copying didn’t come until a few years after (in the context of time I was talking about).

No comments:

Post a Comment