Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wk3 Reading: Art of Possibilities Chapters 5 – 8

The one chapter that I really liked was the Rule Number 6 chapter. I'm very relaxed about others, but for my own things, I'm dead serious, and not taking myself serious almost feels like an insult to myself. This has been a hard journey to a more relaxed self, as I'm a firm believer that seriousness and determination go hand in hand.
I guess being hard on myself has always been a natural thing for me. But I have seen the difference between a workplace that is serious and one that likes to have fun, and have found that there is much more productivity in a fun one. This is mainly (in my opinion) because in a fun environment, people take pride and ownership of their contributions, and feel closer to those around them. I wonder how hard it would be to have fun in this working environment (I mean between co-workers or with the boss) in which everyone has to work separately from each other, like in the educational K-12 workplace.
I know that in the military, it depends on the leadership, whether it is one of fear or one of comradeship. And this takes more than one leader to pull it off, just one will make that person look bad or not part of the unit. It is always better in a place where no one take themselves seriously. But some people might have other opinions about seriousness in the workplace. I would like to hear your opinions, thanks.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I changed school systems about 15 years ago. I had worked in a smaller school system in an economically depressed area of Ohio. (Some would describe it as an Appalachian area in Southeast Ohio.) I had worked there for about 3 years and had started to find egos and territories starting to be revealed. I also had stepped on the lines and it was beginning to create some trouble for me. I would say I was able to leave “at the right time.”

    When I came to my new school district I found that within a year I had decided that 90% of my happiness can be tied up in the administrators that I had. My new administrators were supportive and challenging. They were trustworthy and reliable it was truly a “golden age.” It was a great deal of fun to work at your potential, help your students gain their potential, and have administrators allow and encourage you to meet those potentials.

    ReplyDelete